Skip to main content

Public Records Request

The Bureau of Engineering’s Risk Manager coordinates the retrieval and production of documents in response to California Public Records Act (CPRA) requests, subpoenas and Freedom of Information Act requests received by the Department of Public Works - Bureau of Engineering (Engineering). Engineering’s Risk Manager also accepts the service of subpoenas on behalf of Engineering for witness appearances.
The California State legislature adopted the Public Records Act in 1968. It is designed to give the public access to information in the possession of public agencies. The CPRA also provides that public records shall be open for inspection during regular office hours of the agency. The public can inspect or receive a copy of any record unless the record is exempted from disclosure under the CPRA.
How do I make a request?
To open a new request, click on the Request Public Records icon below, or you can use one of our alternate methods of submission*. 

*Submitting a CPRA request online is the preferred submission method; however, requests can also be submitted by one of the following methods:

Attn: Risk Manager
1149 S. Broadway, Suite 140
Los Angeles, CA 90015
  • in person at: Public Works - Bureau of Engineering
Project Award and Control Division
1149 S. Broadway, Suite 140
Los Angeles, CA 90015

How can I search the status of my request?

  • To search for the status of your request or to search existing requests, click on the Search Existing Request icon below.

Public Records - Search Existing Request

Who can initiate a request?

  • Anyone may initiate a request for public records.

What type of information can I request?

  • CPRA requests from Engineering may include a wide variety of documents and other materials (including print and electronic formats) that were created or obtained by Engineering and are, at the time the request is filed, in Engineering’s possession and control (i.e., permits, plans, etc.).  The CPRA excludes certain categories of records from disclosure.

How soon must a City agency respond to my request?

  • The CPRA requires an agency to provide a response to the request within 10 calendar days.

How much will I be charged for my request?

  • Documents and materials within the possession of Engineering that are available in electronic format will be provided without charge, when feasible.  Fees for paper copies are ten cents per page (up to 8 ½” x 14”), unless the requested document has an established statutory fee. The cost of CDs, DVDs, and oversized documents will vary depending on the specific request.


Subpoenas for documents may be served upon the Risk Manager via US Mail or in person at Public Works – Bureau of Engineering, Project Award and Control Division, 1149 S. Broadway, Suite 140, Los Angeles, CA  90015 and should be accompanied by a check for $15 payable to the "City of Los Angeles". This $15 deposit will be applied toward the material cost of complying with the subpoena incurred by Engineering. Additional charges may be assessed if a large volume of documents is produced.

To ensure accurate recordkeeping, we request that subpoenas for witness appearances be served upon the Risk Manager. Witness subpoenas should be accompanied by a $275 check payable to the "City of Los Angeles". This $275 is considered a prepayment for the appearance. Government Code 68096.1(b) states, "The party at whose request the subpoena is issued shall reimburse the local agency for the full cost incurred by the local agency in paying the employee his or her salary or other compensation and traveling expenses as provided for in this section, for each day that the employee is required to remain in attendance pursuant to the subpoena. The amount of two hundred seventy-five dollars ($275), together with the subpoena, shall be tendered to that local agency for each day that the employee is required to remain in attendance pursuant to the subpoena." Accordingly, if the $275 prepayment does not cover the full cost of the witness appearance, the Risk Manager will invoice the subpoenaing party for the balance of the amount owed.

NOTE: Pro-pers (non-lawyers) can only issue subpoenas with a court clerk stamp prior to service.